Sunday, June 15, 2014

Chevron Stool



I got this old stool at a yard sale for free!


If you want to do a design like the one I did, I would suggest using paint and a brush instead of spray paint. We had already bought spray paint at the store and later realized that we should have gone with the other paint because it was difficult to cover the other sections while we spray painted one section.

We first sanded down the stool completely so that it was nice and smooth. I then started by painting the blue sections. It was best to do this first because these sections would be the easiest to cover when we spray paint the rest of it later.


It didn't take long for the blue to dry.. Only about 20-30 minutes. Next, we painted the green legs. We used a grocery bag and cut it up into pieces that would cover these blue pegs. I used frog paint to keep these down and put the edges of the tape with the edge of the peg.  I also got a whole grocery bag and covered the top circle of the stool so that would not get sprayed with green. 

I removed the plastic bag covers just a few minutes after spraying the legs green. I let the green dry for another 20-30 minutes. 
The next step is to cover the entire stool except for the top circle where the black and white chevron goes. We got a large kitchen trash bag and cut the bottom open. We used frog tape to tape the trash bag to the very edges of the blue rim. You will have to use bits and pieces of frog tape instead of one long one so that you have a perfect circle shape when you paint it. The rest of the trash bag hangs over the rest of the stool so that it doesn't get sprayed with black or white paint.
After the tape was secure and the rest of the stool was covered, I spray painted the whole top circle white. I waited for that to dry for about 30-45 minutes. 
Then, I used frog tape and cut them into 2 1/2" strips so my chevron stripes would look even. I put them down on the white paint in a chevron pattern and spray painted with black. I let it dry for just a few minutes before removing the tape. Then, I could remove all tape and and the trash bag and I was done!



No comments:

Post a Comment